Here’s an adjustable dog collar pattern you can sew for your pet. Find a some fabric, interfacing and the pieces from an old collar. You will make the most stylish and fashionable creations without spending any money. Once you learn how you’ll be able to make them in a snap.
Complete the set with a matching leash and poop bag dispenser and you’ll turn heads every time you take the dog for a walk.
Dog collar pattern
- 1 Parachute buckle
- 1 D ring
- 1 Triglide slider
- 1 plastic ring (I don’t know if this is the right name but it’s used to keep the collar from sliding)
- Pretty fabric
- Fusible interfacing
- Matching thread
Make sure that the buckle, D-ring, plastic ring and slider all have the same width.
Cut Your Dog Collar Pattern
- The width of the buckle will give you the collar’s width.
- Choose one of the following measurements for the length:
- Small dog: 20″
- Medium dog: 25″
- Large dog: 30″
- Cut a strip of fusible interfacing using your width and length measurements.
- Cut a strip of fabric the same length but 4 times as wide.
How to Make the Dog Collar
Note: the fabric from my collar was hard to photograph. I used a different fabric so you can easily see what you have to do.
- Fold the strip of fabric lengthwise in half with the wrong side inside. Press.
- Unfold. Apply the fusible interfacing on the wrong side of fabric along the center fold.
- Iron each of the fabric’s edges towards the middle and press again. The wrong side of fabric should be inside.
- Fold in half, leaving the folded edges inside. Press.
- We are going to finish the small edges first. Unfold the ends of your strip and fold them so that you are seeing the inside of the collar. Sew them together. I made the inside lighter in the picture so you can see the difference.
- Clip the corners and turn.
- Sew all around the fabric’s edge. Start with the open long edge.
- Insert the tip of the collar around the slider and sew. Use the machine’s zipper foot to make it easier. The wrong side of your collar should be outside (the wrong side of my collar is the orange one and the right side is the yellow one).
- Insert the plastic ring.
- Insert the other end of the collar in the buckle piece that has the three teeth.
It should go through the slit that’s closer to the teeth first and come out on the other one.
- Put the collar through the plastic ring again and then insert it in the slider
- Then comes the D ring and the other buckle piece.
- Go around the buckle piece and bring a piece of the collar under the D-ring. Sew to hold it in place.
Ta da! Call your dog and try it on. If you liked this project, make a matching leash and poop bag dispenser.
You’ll also like:
- Making a dog collar
- Make dog toys from scraps
- Easy dog dress pattern
- How to make a hoodie for your pup